The Morrin Centre, drawing on resources of the Literary and Historical Society of Quebec’s unbroken history of intellectual endeavour, its priceless historical collections, and the historic building that houses them, strives to provide spaces (a restored building), security (preservation of current cultural assets) and opportunities (programs) to foster English-speaking culture in Quebec City, share it with the rest of the population, and encourage cultural exchange between Quebec’s diverse anglophone and francophone populations.
The “Lit and His”, as it is affectionately known by the English-speaking population, is responsible for having safeguarded this cultural treasure house until today. Founded in 1824 by the colonial governor Lord Dalhousie, the LHSQ is the oldest learned society in Canada, and was once the intellectual hub of the capital. Petitions by prominent members with eclectic interests and astonishing intellectual ambition were responsible for founding many of our contemporary national institutions such as the Public Archives and the Geological Survey of Canada. Deeply conscious of history and the importance of conservation, LHSQ members saved the Plains of Abraham from developers, collected and preserved manuscripts, and sent emissaries to collect colonial records from Paris, London and New York. As well as library and archives it was a museum, art gallery and publisher, conducted original scientific research, and had a busy and fashionable lecture program.